Monday, June 28, 2010

Some thoughts on Southwest Waterfront...

I have visited SW Waterfront three times now, and each time I find something new that greatly interests me. The neighorhood is truly diverse. Located right on the Potomac, SW Waterfront has beautiful views of the water. A thriving marina and houseboat community is located right off shore. Walk into the community a little further, and it becomes entirley different. Shady tree lined streets are filled with wonderful examples of mid-century modern architecture. Lauren and I found a rowhouse complex called River Park that is decorated with aluminum trim, and towering apartment buildings with funky facades. The east side of the community is steeped in history. On our last visit we found Randall Jr. High, where Marvin Gaye attended. Now vacant, there are plans to develop it as a hotel/art gallery. Syphax school, operated from 1902 to 1994, has been remodeled as condos, a great example of the historic preservation technique of rehabilitation and reuse. I can't wait to share what Lauren and I have found with our students.

No comments:

Post a Comment