Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Thoughts on IWWL

Participating in IWWL this summer has been a great experience. Not only has it been a joy teaching the students, I learned so much from them as well! From teaching me how to use a drill to telling me what TV shows are popular, I learned a great deal from the students. I also enjoyed learning more about Washington, D.C. If I had not done this program, I probably never would have gone to the Southwest Waterfront. However, I’m so glad I had the opportunity to learn about this fascinating community. I loved getting fresh seafood at the fish market, walking along the Potomac River, and discovering some of the oldest buildings still standing in D.C.


I had so many wonderful moments with this program, it’s hard to pick just a few to share. Every day the creativity of our students amazed me. I loved hearing the great ideas the students come up with when we were brainstorming for the exhibit. I was also touched to see how dedicated our students were. When we gave them activities to do, such as building houses out of recycled materials or creating tourism posters, the students poured themselves in the projects, often asking for more time to work so they could do their best. After our site visits I loved looking at all of the great photographs the students took. Although they only got to have two or three photos in the exhibit, they took hundreds of amazing photographs. To see more check out our flickr account at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nationalbuildingmuseum/sets/72157624217222339/

So come see the results of IWWL by checking out our exhibit at the National Building Museum. I assure you that you won’t be disappointed!

Yay Southwest Waterfront!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment