Thursday, July 15, 2010

Josh: Museum Visit and Exhibition Design

We went to two exhibits yesterday at the Smithsonian American History Museum.  One was about the Apollo Theatre, and the other was about the history of a house called "Within these Walls".  I liked the house exhibit much better.  It had A LOT more color than Apollo, and also had more interactive things. I  also noticed that Within these Walls had  a temperature that was just right.  It was not too cold or too hot, it was perfect.

I have several ideas for the Southwest Waterfront exhibit design.  The first thing is that I don't want the room to be too hot or cold.  I think it would be cool to incorporate a temperature (or fan) that makes you feel near the ocean.  We need LOTS of interactive things so its fun for kids and it's not just reading.  When we were in the exhibit "Drawing Towards Home"  a man and two boys came in.  The boys were about eight and ten.  While the dad was looking around, I noticed that the kids were playing and that they were obviously bored.  I don't want that to be the case with our exhibit.  I want kids five and up enjoying it and actually paying attention. 

1 comment:

  1. Good observations on exhibit design. I like that you are thinking about how your exhibit can be fun for kids based off an experience you had in another gallery. So how are you guys going to get kids/adults to pay attention to your exhibit??

    ReplyDelete